Sabertooth Motor Controller 25×2 Review
Sabertooth Motor Controller is absolutely perfect for robotic systems. I used these motor controllers at my Tsunami and Fusion sumo robot projects. It has big power connectors. I never experienced bad problems like Pololu motor controllers.
Sabertooth Motor controller has four interface methods:
- R/C mode : For using r/c receivers especially.
- Analog mode: My preferred choice.
- Packetized Serial
Some Notes About Motor Controller:
- For analog mode control you have to add one capacitor (100nF) and resistor (1K-4,7K) to your interface. After you can control sabertooth by mcu’s hardware Pwm.
- With built-in protection circuits sabertooth is like bulletproof. Controller never heated in my projects.
- It has also 5V regulator output at controller card. But I don’t recommend using at other circiuts.
- For smaller space usage, I tried removing side aluminium heat sinks. But I couldn’t..:) So don’t try.
- Don’t reverse battery connections!
- Easy usage
- Regenerative system adds extra fuel to batteries.
- Big terminals ensure firm connections.
- Easy tuning by smd dipswitch.
- Motor can drive all Maxon motors easily.
- Having linear voltage regulator, If it had switching mode it can better. (Later models have)
- Reverse battery protection absence.
For Analog mode control I am using Pic Mcu’s Hardware PWM channels (HPWM1 – HPWM2). It is very easy.
‘Motor Speed Declarations
DEFINE CCP1_REG PORTC ‘Hpwm 1
DEFINE CCP1_BIT 2 ‘Hpwm 1 pin bit
DEFINE CCP2_REG PORTC ‘Hpwm 2
DEFINE CCP2_BIT 1 ‘Hpwm 2 pin bit
DEFINE HPWM2_TIMER 1 ‘Hpwm 2 timer
DEFINE HPWM3_TIMER 1 ‘Hpwm 3 timer
HPWM 2, 255,16000 ‘Full Speed both channel
Pause 1000 ‘ How much duration
HPWM 2, 60,16000 ‘ Less Speed (60/255)both channel
Codes are written in Picbasic language.
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/Sabertooth2X25.htm here, you can find Sabertooth Motor controller. That model and higher current models are very popular among sumo robot makers.